Install the Intellij IDE
Check out the KHR project from subversion
- Under "VCS", select "Checkout from Version Control" --> "Subversion"
- Click the green "+" button and add the kpme repository: https://svn.kuali.org/repos/kpme
- After adding the repository, it should be listed in the current window. Expand the repository and select the folder you want to check out (usually trunk or something in branches)
- Click "Checkout"
- Select your destination folder (usually something like c:/java/projects/kpme or /java/projects/kpme). You can create folders in this window if they do not exist.
- Highlight (click) on the folder you want to check out the project to
- Click "OK"
- Click "OK" again
- Select your subversion working copy format.
- 1.7 or 1.8 should work fine
- generally it is a good idea to keep this in line with any other subversion client installations you are running (tortoiseSvn, collabnet, etc) to maintain compatibility
- Click "OK"
- After the project has downloaded you should see a window similar to this:
- Click "Yes"
- Intellij will then open your project, which may take several minutes.
- During this, Intellij will ask you if you want to schedule several files for addition to subversion.
- These are Intellij project files for each of the modules
- Click "No"
- You may get a window saying "Language level changes will take effect on project reload. Would you like to reload the project "kpme" now?"
- Intellij will restart.
A Few common setup tasks
After intellij restarts, you should be presented with a gray (or black) window that looks similar to this:
Couple of things to point out for new Intellij Users:
- Upper left of the workspace (big darker gray area) there is a button for "Project". Clicking this will give a very nice folder view of the project
- "Changes", bottom, next to TODO, and Terminal is your subversion client
- Clicking this will present a window at the bottom with local changes, repository changes, and incoming changes tabs
- To update your project to the latest code base, click Changes, Incoming, Refresh (button that looks like two arrows creating a circle), and then the Update Project button.
Setting up run configurations
Several run configurations should be set up to make life easier.