Prerequisites (Development System)
- A fast system - Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or higher
- At Least 4GB of RAM. You will need it to run KFS, Eclipse, and your Web browser while avoiding virtual memory page swaps.
- Java 1.6 JDK
- Eclipse JEE Edition (3.5 or 3.6)
- A local MySQL server or access to a MySQL or Oracle database instance.
Install Database Drivers
- You will need both Oracle and MySQL drivers even if you are only using one. They are both referenced in the Eclipse classpath.
- Obtain the Oracle driver for your version of the database.
- Obtain the appropriate version of the MySQL Connector/J JDBC driver.
- Put both drivers in
- Please review Configuration Properties 4 for reference on the database-related properties that must be configured to build the project.
- Install Spring IDE (optional)
- Update Site:
- You only need the "Spring IDE Core"
- Update Site:
- General Eclipse Settings
- Configure a Java 1.6 JRE as your default.
- You will probably want to add these parameters to your "Default VM Arguments:
- Eclipse Server Configuration
- If you want to run a development server within Eclipse, please refer to the instructions below:
- Open the Servers View (Window->Show View) (may be under Others...)
- In the view, right click and select New->Server
- Select the Apache / Tomcat v5.5 Server from the list. (Or whatever is appropriate if not using our built-in server.)
- Click the "Add..." link next to the Server Runtime Environment drop-down.
- Under Tomcat Installation Directory, enter the path to your tomcat instance (E.g.,
- Select the JDK 1.6 runtime you set up earlier for the JRE.
- Click "Finish"
- Click "Finish" in the main server setup window.
- Back in the Servers view, double-click the new server to open it.
- Under General Information, click the "Open launch configuration" link.
- Arguments Tab: In the VM Arguments, add this line to the end:
- Source Tab: Add the project source to the server (for debugging purposes)
- Click the Add... button
- Select "Java Project" and click "OK"
- Select the "kfs" project from the list.
- Uncheck the two checkboxes at the bottom of the list.
- Click OK.
- Click OK.
- Under Server Locations, select the radio button "Use tomcat installation (takes control of Tomcat installation)"
- Under Server Options, select "Serve modules without publishing"
- Under Publishing, select "Never publish automatically"
- Under Timeouts, change the timeouts each to 600. (The fields are sometimes not large enough, so click in the field and do a "select all" to ensure that you replace the existing value.
- Save and close the server window.
- Select "Import" from the "File" menu in Eclipse.
- Select "Existing Projects into Workspace" and click "Next >".
- Specify the the
kfsdirectory from the distribution as the root directory.
- Click "Finish".
Kuali documentation is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Kuali software is licensed for use pursuant to the Educational Community License v.2.0.
Copyright © 2005-2013 The Kuali Foundation. All rights reserved.
Portions of Kuali are copyrighted by other parties as described in the Acknowledgments screen.
Kuali ® is a registered trademark of the Trustees of Indiana University.